Shipping a Car
You have 2 options for shipping your car to Hawaii.
- The first options is to put it inside a sea container with your personal belongings, which we cover here
- Your other choice is to ship the car separately, which is detailed below
As you go through this information, we also want you know about Jim, the Kona Car Guy. He can help arrange shipping for you and can also help you evaluate whether to bring your car or not. We haven’t used Jim, but have heard good things about him.
Around $1000 to ship a car from the west coast to Hawaii. This is in addition to any cost to ship your car to a west coast port.
Maximum Standard Vehicle Size
21’8″L x 8′W x 7′H
7- 40 days from the West Coast to Hawaii. Add additional time if you need your car shipped to a west coast port.
Usual Ports on the Mainland
San Francisco Bay Area
Ports on the Big Island
Usual Shipping Rules
- Goods may NOT be shipped inside a vehicle.
- ONLY the spare tire, jack, and items installed by the manufacturer may be in the car.
- Your vehicle should have no more than 1/4 tank of gas.
- Your vehicle must be in running order, clean, and not leaking.
- Your vehicle can NOT have cracked or damaged windshields or windows.
- Your vehicle must either be licensed or qualified to be licensed for operation on public streets or highways.
Companies That Ship Vehicles to the Big Island
We didn’t ship our cars to the Big Island, so can’t speak directly to the experience of using any of them. There are also a few options not listed here, but these are some of the most-used companies.
Hawaii Ports: Kawaihae, Hilo
Mainland Ports: Los Angeles (Long Beach), Oakland, Portland, Seattle
Shipping Time: 17 days from vessel sail date to Hilo
- Also ships full containers
- Does not ship motorcycles
Hawaii Port: Hilo
Mainland Ports: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area
Shipping Time: 7 days
- Ships motorcycles, boats and other oversize cargo
- Ships inter-island
Hawaii Ports: Kona, Hilo
Mainland Ports: San Diego, Los Angeles/Long Beach, Oakland/San Francisco, and Seattle
Shipping Time: 20 to 40 business days
- Ships motorcycles, RVs, boats and planes
- Also ships full and less than full containers